Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Special Days

      Some days are just special. I may not know it when I get up in the morning, but before the day ends, there is the realization that the day just lived has been one to remember. What makes it this way? Will this day be one of those?

   Yesterday we spent the day on the road, driving p to VA to be with our family in Blacksburg for Thanksgiving. It is always good to be here. The kids, 12, 10 and 8 seem to look forward to our visit, and we look forward to a lot of good times with them (and their parents) over these few days. I know from past experience that we will play a lot of games, maybe read some books, and just generally have fun together.

 

   As I sit here this morning, listening to the sounds of the family on the floor above, getting ready for breakfast and preparing for a half day of school, I wonder what the day will bring. Will I look back on it and see it as a special day, or just another one lived? What can make it special for them and for us?

   Could there be a hint in the Scripture for today? The story told in Luke 19 is a familiar one, but could it have something to do with what will become of this day?

   Here is the story of Zacchaeus, the tax collector, small of stature, but wanting to see Jesus as He passed through his city. Knowing he would not be able to see because of the crowds that lined the way, he climbed a tree to get a better view. Little did he know that Jesus would see him there in the tree, and then invite Himself to his house for a meal and visit.

   The story begins with a description of Zacchaeus as a chief tax collector and very rich. but it ends with this rich man giving away half of his wealth to the poor and wanting to make restitution of any funds that he has taken in error. Did the visit make a difference to him? Was it a special day? Did it make a difference in the lives that Zacchaeus touched from then on?

   Could such a visit make this day special for me also and the ones I interact with on this day?

   We used to teach our kids this little song:

   Zacchaeus was a wee little man
   and a wee little man was he
   He climbed up in the sycamore tree
   for the Lord he wanted to see
   And as the Savior passed that way
   He looked up in the tree
   And He said "Zacchaeus, you come down
   For I'm going to your house today"

   I know Who can make the difference in this day. Will I let Him lead me in it?

   Oh, where is my tree?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment