Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Life Moves On, and On, and On.....

   I confess this morning that the first words of Psalm 5 speak my heart:

 "Give ear to my words, O Lord;
consider my groaning.
Give attention to the sound of my cry,
my King and my God,
for to you do I pray."


   My brother up in Louisville, Ky sent me an article from his daily paper yesterday, talking about a prison ministry up in West Virginia that is engaged in sending books to inmates in prisons around that area. He was asking me if that is what we used to do, and do I miss that, now that the funds we used to buy and send the books, has been used up?

   My answer is yes, I do miss it. It could be the lack of interaction with those in need of some hope, or it could be that without something to do with my hands, in other words, being busy, I don't feel very needed.

   Realizing that this is a mistaken attitude toward service, and that busyness is not the answer to a fulfilling life of helping others, it is still hard not to be important in God's work. Not the self importance of saying "Look here, this is what I do", but the making a difference in the lives of people, especially those that are the forgotten of society.

   I realize also that God has put me here, where I am, and He has given me other avenues of service. He has given me responsibilities in His work, and I know He has not put me out to pasture. I do not need to look for some grandiose scheme to give me a sense of worth, I only need to serve where I am called.

   I also know that my golf score or my tennis games are not the answer to a fulfilling life. They are fun ways to fill some days, but my cry is for more meaning in my life in the days that I have left on this earth.

   I want to help but not just to be busy.

   God, open my eyes to see what is around me. The opportunities that I have for service for You and the importance to You of my activities. Help me to feel a sense of worth in what I do, and help me to be a blessing to others.

   This is what I ask this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment