Friday, January 2, 2015

Day Two, A Hard Beginning

   I wrote yesterday and felt good about it. There were some tangible resolutions or goals, and it seemed right to put them down so as to be accountable as this year went on.

   So I come to Day 2 of 2015 and already I am bummed.

   It is true that I woke up at a good time, still dark and quiet, and I wanted to get up. At least my mind and soul wanted to get up, but my body was not so sure. Maybe it was the fact that I stayed up until 1AM watching Alabama lose, but after an initial walk in the cool morning, sitting back down to read, think, pray and write, my eyes wanted to close, and all my mind wanted to do was turn off completely.

   In the reading for this morning were these verses: (from Hebrews 11 in The Message)

"By an act of faith, Enoch skipped death completely. “They looked all over and couldn’t find him because God had taken him.” We know on the basis of reliable testimony that before he was taken “he pleased God.” It’s impossible to please God apart from faith. And why? Because anyone who wants to approach God must believe both that he exists and that he cares enough to respond to those who seek him."

   So, if I believe God exists and that He cares about each individual, me, then I can trust that His guidance for me on yesterday was not just some figment of my imagination, but a plan He endorsed, and one I need pay attention to.

   He knows my "want tos", and He knows my sometimes foolish sleep habits. He sees my foggy mind processes, and He knows what I believe about Him.

   And I believe this morning that He sent those verses to me to remind me that I am on the right track.

   He is, and He cares.

   And that is a good thing for me on this second day of this new year.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment