Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Why Fritter Anyway?

   What is wasting time?

   When I talked about "frittern", I got to thinking about the things that I do that take my time. I like to read, work puzzles, work on photography, play tennis and golf, ride my bike in good weather, and watch some TV. I am even liking cooking and working in the kitchen these days.

   Are any or all of these to be considered wasting time? What is the definition of wasting time anyway?



   Is putting together jigsaw puzzles one of those "frittern" things?

   Now my wife gave me a new puzzle, pictured above, 1,000 pieces, showing a lot of different book covers. It has many pieces, and also a lot of ways to use the words to match up with those pictures used for the cover art. It was fun, but also time consuming.

   My wife knows that I like puzzles. Now, it would not be nice of me to just put that box back into the closet and forget to put it together, would it? A gift not used shows non appreciation and could hurt the giver's feelings. I would not want that for sure.

   But is there a reason why I do all these things? Is it just because I need something to fill the days, or something to keep my mind occupied?

   I read this in Psalm 119 this morning:

"If only I were predisposed
to keep your statutes!
Then I would not be ashamed,
if I were focused on all your commands.
I will give you sincere thanks,
when I learn your just regulations.
I will keep your statutes.
Do not completely abandon me!"


   The psalmist bemoans his incomplete dedication to God's Law and closes with the request, "Do not completely abandon me". It sounds as if he is saying, "Look, I'm trying, God, don't give up on me", which is the way I feel sometimes.

   There is also the sense that if somehow I can keep my mind and body active, I will not atrophy into a man that is completely worthless to God or to someone else.

   So, what may look like "frittern" to you may be my attempt to hang on to a sense of worth and be ready when there are things God calls me to do in this stage of my life.

   Please don't judge my use of time too harshly…it may just be my mental and physical exercise routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment