Saturday, September 12, 2015

Remembrance Is Not Enough..

   My wife and I have managed to hang onto several LP records from years back. For a present last Christmas, I gave her a new record player that will play them, and, occasionally, we put one on at supper and listen to long ago.

   For no other reason than it was on top, this is the one I pulled out and put on the turntable last evening:



   Then, as it began to play, the memories of the day came back in such intensity that I could not even get the words out to sing along.

 
  1. God Bless America
  2. God bless America
    Land that I love
    Stand beside her
    And guide her
    Through the night
    With the light
    From above
    From the mountains
    To the prairies
    To the oceans
    White with foam
    God bless America
    My home sweet home

   Stories in the paper had reminded me of the day, September 11, 2001…9/11..

   Like so many others, I had let all the events of that day slide into the background of my memory. I had not forgotten, but it was not fresh. It happened, but that was "then".

   That rendition of God Bless America had stirred it up again in my mind and heart.

   I remembered, in the days immediately after that tragic day, that song was sung many times in many places. In stadiums, in ballparks, at all kinds of events. The announcer would come on and say, "Let's all stand and honor America", and the crowds would enthusiastically sing along.

   That would bring tears to my eyes and a swell in my heart, and, many times, I could not even sing along.

   From my reaction last night, I still can't.

   Our country seemed to be united during those dark days after 9/11, but we have let that slip back into the recesses of our collective memories.

   It seems "business as usual" these days and, while we needed God back then, we can do it on our own today.

   Foolish people are we…

  1. God Bless America

   We can sing like we mean it, or pray like we mean it, but until we live like we mean it, the words are hollow.

 

2 Chronicles 7:14New International Version (NIV)

 "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment