Saturday, September 19, 2015

Waiting For What?

   The other day my wife had a noon meeting at church, and so I, being the designated driver for all occasions like this, took my camera with me, so I could use the hour or so to practice a little.

   There is a spot behind the church, in a small subdivision, where a small viewing platform stands on a vacant lot beside the marsh. Originally the stand was built so that prospective buyers of the lots in that section could see what the view was like from their back deck.

   It is a good spot, with a level platform, to set up a tripod and pick out objects in that marsh to shoot. Using a telephoto lens, a tripod is necessary because of the weight of the lens makes it hard to hold steady in my hand.

   Regardless, I was up there on that platform, but not seeing any wildlife out in the grasses and ponds that stretch between St. Simons and Sea Island, I thought it might be a lost day.

   Then I noticed a white spot over to the right side, partially obscured by the trees on the lot next door. Moving to the very extreme left on the stand, and crowding next to the railing, I could see that it was an egret standing there perhaps 150 or so yards out. He did not seem to be scavenging, just waiting.



   Next I took my tripod down to the ground near the marsh to see if I could get a better angle. He was still there.



   An egret "outstanding in his marsh", but what was he doing?

   The first shot shows him looking right and the next one, looking left. What was he looking for?

   Then he rose out of the marsh grass and headed south.

   As he flew, another egret came into view, and they, together, headed on to…

   Now I saw what, or who, he was waiting for, and I could almost see that smile on his face as they flew..

   Together

No comments:

Post a Comment