Thursday, January 7, 2016

Happenchance…I think not

   Our weather down here in the sunny South has been anything but sunny these past few days. A harsh cold wind out of the north, lower temperatures and cloudy skies have made our outside times less common. In short, we are not used to this.

   So, after a bout of cabin fever, I decided yesterday to take a golf club and go out and play a couple of holes. There is a part of our course that goes around a small subdivision, and I can get on at no. 5 and play holes 5, 3 and 4 and be back to where I began.

   I stopped by to see my golfing buddy in his second floor condo and asked if he wanted to join me, which he did. It really was not that bad outside, just a little cool and windy.

   After waiting a couple of minutes for my friend to get his gear together, we started out and played 5 without incident.

   Leaving the course, we walked down a road toward 3 and noticed a two people crossing the road farther down. This appeared to be an older couple, they both had canes, and we commented that we hoped they would not be in our way as we finished playing 3 and 4.

   They passed out of our view, and we did not see them again until we met the cart path leading to no. 3 tee box.

   Then we saw them. One had evidently fallen on the path and the other was kneeling beside. The one on the ground was not moving. They had a problem for sure.

   We moved on down toward where they were and asked if we could help. The lady, the wife, said her husband had tripped and fallen on the concrete and hit his head, which was dripping blood. After helping him sit up and trying to stop the bleeding, we wondered what else we could do.

   Suddenly there was a lady standing beside us, saying she was a nurse and volunteering to help. She had noticed the four of us as she drove by, so she stopped her car and came over.

   We were glad to have "expert" help, and let her take over.



   After a few minutes of getting the husband situated, she volunteered to take the couple to their house where he could get cleaned up and check the cut on his head. She had looked at the wound and felt it needed a stitch or two as it was pretty deep. This nurse had a small car, and the man and wife did not live far, just a block or so, so, as I helped the man get into the front seat, my playing partner walked the wife home.

   As I waited for him to return, I could not help but think of how we happened to be there at the right time. If I had not waited for my friend to get ready, I would have already been past the point where I could have seen the couple. There were no others on the course. It was not a golf day with our weather.

   Not only were we there at the right time, but that nurse was also.

   As we finished playing 3 and were walking down toward no. 4, another thought came to mind.

   We were passing behind the house of a friend who was also a nurse. Knowing that the older couple, even older than me, might possibly still need some help at home, and only lived a few houses down from where we were, we stopped, and I asked her if she would check on them. She knew them, they were from Minnesota and lived here in the winter, and said she would go down.

   The offshoot of that conversation was that my friend convinced the wife that her husband did indeed need a stitch or two, and she got them to the emergency care facility on the Island.

   I know the couple did not anticipate this incident as they walked, but God knew and had put people in the right spot to be able to help. Not only just people, but two nurses who knew what to do and how to do it.

   Happenchance….I think not

No comments:

Post a Comment