Friday, January 1, 2016

They Could Get Rained Out...

   Yes, I stayed up too late last evening watching football.

   I did wake up this morning, but then rolled over and tried to go back to sleep, all to no avail.

   So I got up, dressed for walking, and slipped out the front door, ready to clear my mind for a new day.

   As I walked down the stairs to the garage area, my mind started to focus on the new year. 2016 was here and how was it going to be? How would I live it? How would I live in it?

   The sky was overcast, the temperature still on the warm side, as I stepped out into the open and felt a slight mist on my head.



   Walking through the garage to the end of Building One, the mist became heavier and the raindrops began splashing into the puddles on the drive. This was a real rain, and I turned and walked back to Building Two.

   My plan was to walk.

   My plan changed.

   And I thought of those verses in James 4:

" Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain:  Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away."

   A lesson came to mind, one that I had often realized before, but needed to be reminded of on the first day of this New Year.

   It is not my plans that are important, it is God's for me.

   Planning is not bad. It is the importance of my plans to me that I need to be careful of.

   The next verse tells it all.

" For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that."

   I need to hold my plans in my hand loosely.

   They might get rained out.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment