Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Promises, Promises....

   The dictionary defines promise as:

1.
a declaration that something will or will not be done, given,etc., by one: 
2.
an express assurance on which expectation is to be based:
3.
something that has the effect of an express assurance;indication of what may be expected.

   The Psalmist in today's reading uses the word in this manner:

   "your promise gives me life."

   "be gracious to me according to your promise."

   I found several websites that list the promises of God as found in the Bible. I'm not sure just how many promises there are, but plenty, I know.

   But the thought struck me, as I started looking up some references to promises in the Bible, that I have to know the promises before I can rely on them. I don't always have to know them for God to be faithful in using them in my life, but it sure would give me some assurance if I could call them up out of my mind when a situation arose.

   The promises of God are sure, they are money in the bank, and they can be a comfort and a challenge to my life, but not so much if I don't even know what they say.

   So, what is the challenge?

      Find out what they are.

      Believe what they say.

      Trust God in His faithfulness.

   Some of the time, my promises are not worth too much. I may mean well, but something gets in the way. Thank God, His are steadfast and true.

   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment