Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thoughts on Thoughts

   On a day, long ago, a visiting preacher came to our church in Knoxville. I do not remember who it was, and why I remember this about what he said, I don't know, but the gist of what I remember about his message was this:

   "When we all die, and we appear before God, all He will have to do is turn on that great tape recorder that our brain contains, and we will get to listen to every thought that we have had in our lives."

   Now that is one scary idea. The tape does not even have to play out load for all to hear, that would be really bad, but it would just play in our minds, and that would be enough to make us fall on our faces in shame and contrition.

   That could be a far-out example, but I thought of it when I read this portion of the Scripture from Luke, chapter 6:

   "But he knew their thoughts,"

   Jesus knows my thoughts. He sees the good, the bad, and the ugly. He knows what I thought about when I got up early this morning, when I walked and looked at the morning sky, and He knows them now as I sit and write. He not only knows the actual thoughts, He also knows the motivation behind them. He sees the pride behind some of them, the sorrow behind others, and the questioning behind still more.

   Now not all of my thoughts are bad, some are really good and upright I know, but some do not deserve to even see the light of day. They need to be stuffed way back in a dark closet and forgotten, forever.

   But there is one good thought:

   Yes, Jesus does know all my thoughts, the good as well as the not-so-good, but He loves me anyway, and that makes all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment