Thursday, September 6, 2012

Silence Speaks...

   I have talked before about my routine when it comes to a quiet time with God. This time also contains a portion that is devoted to writing this blog. Sometimes I just come into my office and pray and read, then write. Other times I go out for a quick walk to clear my mind before I do anything. Or I may read the Scripture, then walk, then come back and think about it. I guess there is no real routine in all of that, but, regardless of the order, the same activities take up the time. What I am listening for is the voice of God, speaking to me in some way, giving me direction for my day.

   What happens when the voice does not come? When I do all these things and there is silence all around me? There is silence on the walk, silence when I read the Bible, silence when I pray. Have I messed up the routine? Is God not impressed with what I am trying to do? Where is He?

   Three times in the Psalm 50 reading this morning it says:

   "The Mighty One, God the Lord,
speaks "

   "Our God comes; he does not keep silence;"

   “Hear, O my people, and I will speak;"

   God speaks in many ways, but He does speak. The question is, am I listening? Do I give Him a chance to break through my thoughts and plans?

   When I ask why I do not hear, is silence an answer? Is my time just too important to waste in sitting here and trying to listen? Who is my priority, me or Him?

   Silence may be the absence of noise, but it can speak, too, and I think it just did.

   God, help me to hear, especially in the silence.

   SHHH

   

No comments:

Post a Comment