Sunday, September 30, 2012

Today is the Day

   As I sit down to write this morning, a Sunday morning that is chock full of things to do, even good things, I realize that I am in danger of missing the whole object of the day.

   I have already been to the church to start the coffee pots, and, now after breakfast, I get ready to return. In addition to checking the pots to make sure they are perking, I need to get set up to count all the money that comes in through the offering boxes.

   We have it set up so that there are two men each Sunday that take care of those deposits, but this day, my helper has had to go out of town, and I have not heard from my designated backup. So, either the church administrator comes and helps out, or I do it all myself. It is not hard to get it done alone, but correct procedures call for two men for accountability purposes.

   Then, after all of that, there is a luncheon for the Discovery Class, a group that is learning about our church in the context of a possible path to membership.

   As I read in Psalm 118 today:

   This is the day that the Lord has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it.
   Even though I am technically serving God in all that I do this morning, am I so busy that I do not have time to hear from him? If I concentrate on taking care of the monies from each service, just slipping in to get the sermon, is this honoring God?

   Am I any better off than the person who decides to play golf this morning, or work, or just forget God all together?

   It is easy to get so caught up in "things", whatever they are, and wherever they are, and just forget. Or assume that just because I am doing these jobs in God's place, that I will automatically be blessed.

   God, help me to get this thing right, and give You the rightful place in the Day that You have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment