Friday, May 17, 2013

A Couple of Leaves, A Sign?

   David writes in Psalm 86:

"Show me a sign of your favor,"

   I feel the same way on some days. Like yesterday, I woke fairly early and read some of the Scripture for that day, but had to leave that and get ready for some activities. I confess to not getting much out of the passage that I read, but went ahead and just moved through the day.

   Then I saw those words this morning, and I thought "that is what I need for the start of this day, a sign from God, one that says He cares and He is there". Then I thought, "are these thoughts right? Should I even think this or look for this". David prayed this way and he was a king and a man after God's own heart, and he needed something to hang on to. Perhaps some days, I do to.

   So, with these things running around in my mind, I went out the door for a walk, thinking that surely in the quiet, I would catch a glimpse of something, anything, that would confirm what I knew deep down was true. What did I see?

   A couple of leaves, recently detached from a tree, falling down in front of me as if to say, "look here at this".

   A big blue heron along side a pond, probably looking for breakfast.

   The sun as it rose in the sky and filtered through the branches of a low bush.

   Two redbirds on a bird feeder, peacefully enjoying a meal together.

   A head cover for a putter that someone had lost playing yesterday.

   Then as I got home and came inside, a smoke detector went off for a second or two.

   Were any of these, or maybe all of them, a sign or signs of something that I needed? Were these small things tied together or just random? Did any of them matter or should they?

   I am probably no closer at this moment in putting all of this together, but at least it got me to thinking about signs, about my life, about how little things may matter, and that God put all of these things there this morning for me. I was alive and still thinking, maybe that was what God wanted to tell me. He alone gives me breath and life, and pondering even the unknown portions of these could be a sign.



   But I still don't know about those leaves. They just fell with no wind, right in front of me and "spoke", so much so that I picked them up and carried them home, where they sit looking at me right now. I'll have to think some more about all of this. Maybe God is not through with me yet, even on this score.

No comments:

Post a Comment