Sunday, May 26, 2013

Music and More

   My kids will nod their heads rather profusely at this next statement, but it is still true nonetheless. "I am kinda opinionated about music styles, especially those that have to do with Christian music". I tend to equate what I like with the right way to worship through song. Because a certain mode puts me in a worshipful mood, It must be the right way. A case in point:

   We are in Gatlinburg, TN this weekend, participating in, what is billed as "The Gaither Family Fest. This is organized each year by Bill and Gloria Gaither and brings together Christian singers and groups for 4 days of concert and worship. Beginning on Friday night, continuing with 2 concerts on Saturday and another 2 on Sunday, culminating with the last one on Monday morning, Memorial Day.

   Friday night was good, a good blend of music coming from the groups and individuals that were on the program that night. Saturday morning was OK also with more of the same, with a little comedy thrown in. Then came Saturday night. The songs were loud and the words and melodies, if I could pick them out, were unrecognizable to me. I so wanted to leave early, and finally did leave at intermission, hoping that Sunday would be better.

   Sunday dawned grey, overcast, and with a sprinkle or two. It was not a good omen Since it was a Sunday morning, I thought that possibly we would be treated to a few hymns, with their respective recognizable tunes and words. Maybe we would even get soft instead of loud. Man, that would be good.

   And we did, a gentler kind of service, with songs I knew or at least could think about without having to sort through all the loudness. It was good.

   Sometimes, when I am in church and have listened to music that does not seem to do anything for my worshipful attitude, and then the sounds from the stage soften, and a melody comes out, I recognize a song that I know, and that I like to sing, but can't as I choke up and can't even sing at all. I hear the people singing around me and I can't, I just bow my head and say "Thanks".

   That happened to me several times this morning. It was a good worship time for me, and I came away saying "this is the way it should be, reverent and familiar".

   I compare the two services that I had just attended, one loud and boisterous, and the other quiet and reverent. Then I thought of the participants in both. Did God look on the acts of worship with acknowledgement that they were good? Both kinds?

   It is not the outward expressions of worship that are the important items, it is the heart of the worshiper, and that puts some of my attitudes to shame. It may not be my preference, but I should not put that down and vow that my way is the only way.

   God sees and hears, what the heart has to say in all of this. I pray that He will help me to catch a glimpse of this too, even when I "know" that I am right. Ho, Ho, Ho...

No comments:

Post a Comment