Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Busyness is No Substitute

   We have spent the last couple of days on the road. Monday getting out of Gatlinburg and back to Chattanooga to spend the Memorial Day night, and then Tuesday getting back home from there while doing some "courthouse" work along the way in some counties we had not visited.

   Add those two days with the activities of the Gaither Fest days with their concerts and stuff, and life has been full of busyness, but as I sit here in the morning quiet, I realize what I have missed. There has been so little time for personal meditation and reflection on what is going on around me.

   Although the things that have taken hold of my life over these past few days are not bad in themselves, they take on the form of just busyness, as I look back on them from this quiet vantage point, and I realize more than ever, the need for some time alone with God. Even as I try to take some time this morning, reading Scripture and praying, I find that the things that have filled my life over these days are still there, trying to crowd out any thoughts of what God might have to say to me today.

   When I couple those thoughts with the realizations of what I have on my schedule for today, a schedule that must begin in a short time, God is pushed out of the way, and I am left with a feeling that there is much more to life than just busyness, however good and necessary it is.

   So I ask for forgiveness, and I ask God to work in my life this day, reminding me in my goings and doings, that He is there and that He sees my need. I confess my desire to hear from Him, even while not giving Him the time to speak, and I ask for open ears, eyes and heart to see His workings in my life.

   And I pray that this time of realization will not just be a substitute for the real thing, but be a catalyst for the allowing of it to happen.

   And I say "thank You" for the safety of the travel and for the need in my life that causes me to look to You in this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment