Monday, August 11, 2014

My Reading List This Summer

   Sometime back I read a verse in Psalm 101 which states:

"I will set no worthless thing before my eyes;"

   That admonition caught me, mainly due to the fact that I like to read and am prone to read a lot of things that sound like they would be good, but turn out to have little in the way of redeeming value.

   Now I realize that the verse covers a lot more than just reading, but through the eyes come a multitude of images that affect my thought processes, some good and some bad, but reading came to my mind first.

   It may be because  I am old, but there is not enough time to read all the good stuff much less waste time with the other. With that in mind, the first part of this summer I found a post by Dr. Albert Mohler that talked about the 10 books he wanted to read during June, July and August. Since he seems to be big on history, especially in this list, I decided to search out those titles and read along with him.

   My reading has included 5 of the 10 books so far.

   1. Mission at Nuremberg by Townsend (a book about the Nazi war crimes trials)




   2. The Lion's Gate by Pressfield (a book about the 1967 Arab-Israeli War)



   3. The Good Spy by Bird (a book about Robert Ames of the CIA)



   4. The Dead and Those About to Die by McManus (a book about D Day)



   5. I Heard My Country Calling by Webb (an memoir by former VA Senator Jim Webb)



   Perhaps I spend too much time with my nose stuck in my Kindle, but I am reading good stuff, at least in my opinion.

"I will set no worthless thing before my eyes;"

   There may also be better books to read, but I don't think the above will qualify as "worthless".

   Books, movies, TV, magazines and anything else that my eyes spend time on. All are subject to God's definition of "worthless".

   And I need to consider that, all the time.

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment