Monday, August 18, 2014

Potential, 3 Ideas...

   When I think this morning of the future, the next hour, the next day, or week or month or year, I think of the word "potential".

   I guess you can look at any future that you want to envision in one of two ways. The potential for good for you or the reverse, and think of all the good or bad things that can happen in that same time period.

   I was reminded as I read a section of Psalm 107 this morning where the author lists two possibilities that could happen to the land:

" He turns rivers into a desert,
springs of water into thirsty ground,
a fruitful land into a salty waste,
because of the evil of its inhabitants."

 In the same manner, God blesses those who call on Him:

" He turns a desert into pools of water,
a parched land into springs of water."


   He says these two different outcomes are associated with the lives and actions of two classes of peoples, one blessed and the other cursed because of what they do.

   When I look out into any future time, my mind can conger up all kinds of scenarios, but they will fall into two distinct pictures, one of the good that can happen and one of the bad. The potential is there for either or both, but my attitude as I try to look forward has a lot to do with how I live in the present

   I can see an army of problems marching toward me, and I can worry, or that same image can be of blessings and good things, and I can rejoice. What makes the difference?

   Of course, I think of a picture in my files to illustrate my thoughts:



   Two shadows, faceless forms on a bright orangey fence. One can be the potential for bad things to happen in my future times and the other can be the good, but there is another potential that I need to key on.

   That is the thought that God, who is not bound by time and space, has already "been there" in any potential situation, and I can trust that what He has in store for me is good, if I walk with Him in His Will.

   The dominant aspect of that shot above is not the two indistinct shadows, it is the bright fence, illuminated by the Son who can turn even the dry desert potentials into pools of life-giving water.

   I need to not live in the worry about whether any day of the future will be good or bad (in my definition), but live in the potential of God's future as I follow Him.

   Three Potentials for any future, live in the realm of the Third One.

   Let God's bright color overwhelm the shadows of worry.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment