Saturday, August 23, 2014

To Be Continued...

   I have been reading a book (again) entitled The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, an entertaining book which uses the format of a series of correspondence between primarily an author in England and various people on the Island of Guernsey on the subject of the German occupation in World War II.



   At one point in the story, and the various pieces of letters and wires do form a narrative, the lady in England decides that there is a book contained in all that is going on, so she leaves her place in London and goes to Guernsey to meet the people there face to face.

   It is the only way she can get a feel for the story that she wants to tell. The breaking of ties with one place, or with familiar habits, or just stopping a pattern in order to feel something different, or to let yourself see your world in a different sort of way.

   It is not necessary to travel away from home, although it may happen. The only thing is to put yourself in a mental spot to look through different eyes. Through a reflective time, through a camera lens, through meditation and prayer or some other breaking of the ordinary to reach further down.

   I want to try to blend the past with the present and look out as far as God would let me. I want to look around me, even in the ordinary things of life, and see with God's eyes, what it is that He wants to show.

   So there is a sabbatical in the offing for the next couple of weeks. I plan not to write, just to listen and look. Maybe to scribble some notes now and then, so as to jog my memory later on, but nothing formal and continuous. Maybe just sitting and soaking is the ticket, who knows?

   Even though I can hardly believe this figure, it looks like I have written 672 blog posts over the past 3 years on this site. The beauty of the Internet is that they are all stored for retrieval, and a fix is available for any needy reader, even the author. Maybe I should just sit here on my couch, or out by the pool in the sun, and reread what I have said I wanted to do, and see if I actually have paid attention to what my words have said.

   God willing, I will return…

   Just like The General

No comments:

Post a Comment