Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Parable for Me or Us?

   There is a parable in the Gospel reading for today in Luke 13:

   And he told this parable: “A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. And he said to the vinedresser, ‘Look, for three years now I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and I find none. Cut it down. Why should it use up the ground?’ And he answered him, ‘Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and put on manure. Then if it should bear fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down.’”

   When I read this, the thing that caught my eye was the patience of the vinedresser, the one tasked with the care and production of the vineyard. His word was "let's give it one more chance", and I wonder whether or not that was his word to the owner last year at this time.

   How many times has God looked into my life and wondered about any production, any fruit? How many times has He relented when "the tree should have been cut down", and given a reprieve? Given my time on this earth, it must have been quite a few times, and my question is how much have I taken advantage of this extended time to actually do something for Him?

   This all correlates to this country as well. God has blessed this land in a mighty way, and these blessings extend to all the people living in it. How much have we tried His patience with our silly schemes and our wanton disregard of His moral guidelines? How long have we presumed upon His blessings, as though they are our right, and so will be perpetuated forever?

   How soon might we hear "cut it down" rather than "let's give it another year"? How soon for me?

   What do I do? I listen for His voice speaking to me through His Word, through other believers, and through the circumstances of my life that He brings about. I listen, and I hear about my sins and failures that I need to repent of, and turn from, and then I listen to what my production should be, and get on with that.

   That formula is true for me, and it is true for our nation.

   The parable is for me and for us. Individually and collectively, we need to take it to heart so as to hear "well done" and not "cut it down".

   While I pray for His patience, I also plead for "ears to hear what His Spirit says to me". 

   So may we all.

No comments:

Post a Comment