Friday, October 5, 2012

Waiting on "Waiting"

   What am I waiting for?

   Somehow, when I woke up this morning, I had the sense that God wanted to talk to me about waiting. I looked for references to this as I read through the Psalm reading, and also the one from Luke, chapter 8.

   Then I thought it might be odd to be sitting here waiting for "waiting". What was it about all of this that I needed to hear and think about today.

   Now I am not too good at waiting for something. Even when I am forced to sit and wait for someone, or for something to happen, or for something to begin or end, I find something else to do. I might carry a book with me to read, so as to not just be sitting there like a log. Time is not to be wasted, I say, and so I try to make something out of that situation. If I can only get about my day, I can be productive in some way, but just sitting here in limbo, now surely that does not do anything for me or anyone else.

   In the reading from Psalm 140, David writes of what is going on in his life:

   "Deliver me, O Lord, from evil men;
preserve me from violent men,"
   He is waiting for deliverance, but as he does, there is a confidence:

   "I know that the Lord will maintain the cause of the afflicted,
and will execute justice for the needy. Surely the righteous shall give thanks to your name;
the upright shall dwell in your presence."

   David may not be waiting patiently, but he remains sure of the outcome:

   In the reading from Luke, the last verse in the parable of the sower and seed is:

   "As for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patience."

   Perhaps it is not just the why I wait, but how I wait, that matters. After all, while I sat here this morning, waiting on "waiting", there was a message for me, now let's see how that plays out in my life today.

   I'm waiting......

   

No comments:

Post a Comment