Saturday, October 20, 2012

Today's "Bread" is All I Need

   Today my job in the golf tournament is to be the stand by, working in the check in area, to make sure that all the volunteers scheduled to be walking scorers check in, receive their equipment and assignments, and get to their respective stations on time. I also imagine that if someone on the course gets sick or injured, or if one does not show up at all, I will be pressed into duty as their replacement.

   My initial schedule called for me to check into the working area at 7am, and that called for me to be up and out of the house before 6:30, pretty early for a Saturday morning, but when I looked at the tee times for today, I noted that the first tee time was not until 9:40, and it seemed a long time between 7 and 9:15 when the first scorer was due to report.

   So I wondered what to do. Report at 7 as scheduled or come in later just to be there by 9? I had no phone numbers to call to find out the answer, but something, or someone, seemed to tell me, "just send an email, and, if you get an answer before you have to leave to be there as scheduled, fine, but if not just go on in". Also the thought came to me, "don't worry about all of that, just trust that you will know what to do in plenty of time for action".

   I emailed my committee chair around 9pm, checked before I went to bed around 10, no email was in the inbox from her, so went on to bed. Sure enough, she wrote me back around midnight, and I got it when I woke up this morning. "Don't come in till 9 in the morning", it said, so I kicked back to consider the whole happening as I read the Scripture for today.

   Could it be that this portion of the reading this morning spoke to the issue I was tempted to worry about last night?

   "Give us each day our daily bread,"

   The prayer is for daily bread, that which will sustain one for that day and not any time beyond that. Each day will stand on its own.

   Now my worry would have been petty to say the least. The world would not have come to an end if I actually went in a couple of hours early this morning, but the whole process seemed to speak of a deeper issue, that of control.

   Who is actually in control over my life and the things that happen in it? God or me?

   Do I worry about things that I can take action over, or things that are out of my control? In this case I could take one action, the email, but had no way to affect the outcome of what would happen from that point on. I got a response, but even if I did not, did it matter?

   God gives me a mind to think. I need to use it as far as I can, but worrying about any outcome that might or might not happen does not have a place in that.

   Thank You God, for a good night's rest, free from worry about such a minor question, and for an answer this morning with the solution.

   Now to actually show up and be flexible as to what might happen in the rest of this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment