Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Word for This Morning Is...

   This morning we are in Chattanooga, and, as usually happens when we travel, the mornings get kinda hectic. There are things to find in the car, there are questions as to what we will do today, where we will go, who can we see, and, in short, what is the schedule?

   When I finally sat down after breakfast to study a few minutes, I opened the computer, after getting the correct Internet password, and looked up the Examen.me website to get the Psalm and Gospel readings for today. The first item on the agenda for this study is an encouragement to just take a few moments to sit and pray for insight into what will be presented.

   So, I wrote out a small prayer, just to get my mind in the proper spot. My request was for a calming of the spirit, releasing all the questions of what the day should look like, and a few minutes alone with whatever God would like to say to me. (I don't say that I always hear, but I want to be available and in the proper frame of mind, just to make it possible.)

  So the Psalm 131 reading for today is:

   "Lord, my heart is not proud;
    my eyes are not haughty.
I don’t concern myself with matters too great
    or too awesome for me to grasp.
Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself,
    like a weaned child who no longer cries for its mother’s milk."

   There is that word calm again.

   My mind can get so wrapped up in what has gone on, or what is now happening, or what could or should be the offing for today, that I shut out any hope of hearing another voice, regardless of its importance to my life.

   So, my heart is thankful this morning for a few moments of calm, and its reminder of what is necessary to my life this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment