Friday, October 12, 2012

One Thing that God Wants

   There has been a line, spoken by our President, that has been used by the opposing party to put him down in ads and articles for this election cycle. He said in a speech not too long ago that "you did not build it", referring to the role of government to put the things in place so that a person could succeed in his endeavors.

   Regardless of the emphasis of the speech, the words are true, but perhaps not in the context that they were used and given.

   I thought about this as I looked at Psalm 16. In verse 6, David writes:

   "My choice is you, God, first and only.
    And now I find I’m your choice!
   You set me up with a house and yard.
    And then you made me your heir!"


   What is the source of any success of any man?

   Is it what I have done that blesses me with what I am today?

   No, it is not my efforts, it is not my education, my hard work, not even my government, that places me in the spot that I occupy, it is only God Himself that has ordained it. All that I have, all that I can do and all the opportunities that come my way are a gift of His.

   I can question why it is that God has put me in this place, at this time, and with these sets of circumstances, and maybe that will help me to see my role in His story, but is it worthwhile to dwell in the realm of that question?

   My gratitude for all of this is a proper position to take, and I take it gladly, but the one thing that God wants from me this morning, and wants me to live my life in accordance with, seems to me to be a bowing of my knee to Him and telling Him that I realize it is not me that comprises the main story line here, it is Him.

   God, help me to live in such a way, that my words and actions point to Your goodness and love.

   "You have set me up....... You made me"

  I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment