Thursday, October 18, 2012

What Will Today Bring?

   As I sit to write on this morning, a verse from Psalm 37 appears:

   "Commit your way to the Lord;
trust in him, and he will act."

   I realize that, even though I may think I know the things that will happen in my life today, I cannot know the details, even if the broad outline does take place. Only God knows, and the only thing that I know to do is to give Him the day, and then walk through it in the knowledge of that commitment.

   Yesterday was the warm up day for the McGladrey Classic, our local PGA event here on St. Simons. I spent that time learning my new job, which consisted of walking 18 holes with a group of players, one pro and 3 amateurs, recording their stats and scores on a handheld device. There was a little pressure to get it perfect, but it was just a warm up for today.

 

   At approximately 9AM this morning, I will walk up to the first tee box, meet the players that I will be with for this round, and begin the "real" job. These 3 men will be playing in earnest, some for the money, others for various other reasons that come from winning a PGA event, or some even just showing that they can compete at this level. I want to do my job so as not to cause them any more stress than they must play under anyway.

   Simply put, I need to enter their scores and statistics into my little computing machine accurately and completely, so that the people back in the control trailer can pass on what is happening out on the course to anyone out there who cares about how each player is doing. I will need to walk the 18 holes with that group, keeping out of their way, and still concentrating on what each player is doing on each shot. I can't get caught up in their game, but seeing each shot as it happens and punching in results.

   It is not rocket science, but it is important to the players and the fans. There is a certain amount of stress in doing it correctly, and a certain amount of concern that I can do it right. After all, I did mess up a few times yesterday, when it did not even count. So the questions for this morning are:

   1. Can I keep up with all the stuff that I need to enter?

   2. Can I hold up on a physical level, finishing the 18 holes in an energetic mode?

   I admit, that as I lay in bed last night, those two questions did cause a little anxiety, but as I sit here this morning, I resolve to commit them to God and trust the outcome to Him.

   Maybe a silly little concern in the great scheme of life, I know, but all my life's doings should honor God, and I don't want this day to fail to do just that

No comments:

Post a Comment