Monday, July 22, 2013

Peace

   How many folks wake up this morning full of worry about what this day will bring? How many need the peace that the words of this song speaks about?

"When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul."


   This was the verse and the music that was on my mind this morning, and I can see where these thought come from. Two of my best friends are facing medical issues this day, and when I woke up I knew that I needed to get up and pray for them and the ones that love them.

   One friend I visited with yesterday is having all kinds of trouble with his back and can't seem to get much relief from the pain. I'm sure he is looking for a way out of all that, even as he deals with the uncertainty of when.

   Another friend is facing surgery this morning to fix a blocked artery. Although this is a common procedure, there is always the nagging fear any time a person faces this.

   I know that there are many others that face uncertainty this morning, even maybe some that will read these words. None of us know what this day will bring, and sometimes the future looks so murky that we cannot but tend to be uneasy.

   So I pray for these two men and their families right now, and I throw in a prayer for anyone else that is going through anxiety over anything else. I pray that they might have the peace that the hymn writer speaks of.

   And I pray that for my life also. We all need it.

   God knows about my life today, and He knows about those tomorrows, too. His is the peace that gives us rest and security, and we all need just that.

   Lord, help us to know those words in our lives and not just sing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment