Monday, July 15, 2013

Question of the Morning

   Here is the question that plows through my thoughts this morning:

   Can a person keep working on something and be waiting at the same time? It may seem like an oxymoron, but is it?

   Here are some verses from Psalm 25 this morning:

"Indeed, none who wait for you shall be put to shame;"

"for you I wait all the day long."

"May integrity and uprightness preserve me,
for I wait for you."

  It seems as though waiting is a virtue for sure. There are too many references to it for that activity to be overlooked, no matter how busy our life appears on the outside.

   I can wait before making a decision on something, but continue on doing what I feel He has called me to, trusting Him for the outcome of it all. Maybe trust is a key element here. If I trust that He has led me into something, do I have to know all the results of the call, or do I do the job and wait for Him to show me any results?

   Is all of this just an hypothetical exercise, or is there some actual questioning here?

   Since I am retired, and have no regular job to attend to each day, I fill my time with activities that I like to do. God has given me those "likes", but are they there for a purpose other than to fill my waking hours? Can my liking of playing sports, taking pictures and writing be a pathway to something else? If I do not see the benefit to someone else, do I trust that God has given me the pleasure in all of these for a purpose that I do not see?

   It is not hard to continue to do the things I like, but can I also be waiting at the same time, waiting to get a glimpse of a purpose beyond liking? I know that self-gratification is not the answer.

   If I had a life-changing decision like a career path, or a new job, or a new responsibility, it might seem easy to say that I need to keep doing what I am engaged in to the best of my ability until God shows me the new path. Where He leads, follow, but until that leading comes about, wait.

   I can fulfill my responsibilities while waiting, and I should, but can it be that "having fun" while playing, clicking, and choosing the right words to write is a worthwhile wait also?

   I guess the answer comes more from a sense of any call on my life, than it does for my knowing what the outcome of my activity will be.



   And still enjoy the beauty of the world around me, even as I play, and wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment