Monday, January 16, 2012

An Old Story But A New Day

   The Scripture for today is found in John 2:23-3:15.

   The story of Nicodemus is well known to me, and I have probably heard it told and read its words many times over the course of my life, but focusing on it this morning, brings forth the question, why do this again? It is familiar, but God wants me to look at it with a new set of eyes, to see it again, but apply its truths to myself in a new time. Indeed, I can be too familiar with words and images, and the meaning that I get from it can be "I understand it because I have looked at it before", but a new, never considered before, meaning, one that applies to my life in my current situation is being put before me to consider. I have not been in this moment before, and, although it looks the same as before, is not, and I dare not treat this time lightly.

   Sometimes Nicodemus is put down because of his coming to Jesus by night. Surely, he had been in council meetings where Jesus had been discussed. He was aware of most of the religious leaders' feelings toward this new teacher among them. But Nicodemus wanted to see for himself, speak to Jesus, weigh His words and look into His eyes. He wanted to make up his own mind about this man, not just rely on others to make up his mind for him. So he came at night, when he might be able to satisfy himself. Was it safer for him? Sure, but at least he came.

   How could Jesus have responded to this visit? He could have berated Nicodemus for not coming in the daytime where others would have seen him. He could have sat him down and given him prophetic references from the Law and the Prophets as to His coming, so he could look them up and see that He was the One that was spoken of many years before. But He did not. He pointed him to the things that were going on around him right now and He gave him some new ideas to think about. He answered the questions with other questions and statements that Nicodemus would have to think about, and He related the Old Testament story of Moses and the serpent, so that, if he did not believe on Him right away, would have a memory to look back on when he saw Jesus on the cross.

   My personal prayer after thinking on these verses:

   Dear God, help me not to treat anything of Yours as old hat. Help me to read and see with new eyes even what I have read and thought about before. I pray for new insights each and every time I sit down with Your Word.

   Help me also to treat people with new eyes, with a view that respects their questions and their seeking spirit, and give me words to say and love to say them in the right way.

   Show me the truth about my own life and give me the courage to make those changes that You point out.

   Reading is one thing, meditating is another, and praying in response is another, but living it out is the real test.

No comments:

Post a Comment