Friday, January 20, 2012

Spirit and Truth in Worship

   The Scripture today is the one that chronicles the incident of the woman at the well in Samaria as she talks to Jesus. The story itself is familiar, but I found, as I read it again this morning that another thing jumped out at me. Where before I had always emphasized the encounter and the facts of the situation before Jesus, this time the emphasis appeared to be on true and authentic worship of the individual before God.

   I wrote in my Journal:

   This particular Scripture does not seem to focus on Jesus' powers of discernment or prophecy, but on the God's acceptance of worship, and so, it would behoove us to be careful in our worship practices and make sure that what we do and what we say are in accordance to his principles regarding this.

   Worship is to be in spirit. I am wondering whether or not to capitalize the word spirit? Are we to be led by our spirit or by the Holy Spirit? If it is to be by our spirit, then we an get away with almost anything and call it worship, because we are the only ones that can say that we are in that spirit. God knows whether this is true or not, but others around us cannot.

   What about worship in truth? Jesus says that He is the Truth and we know that Scripture is Truth so what does all that have to do with authentic worship? I really don't want a set of rules about how I could and should worship God, but I also do not want to flaunt my independence by saying that I can do it any way I think is best. That thought seems to elevate me to a place where I do not need to be.

   So, Jesus says that acceptable worship encompasses these two areas, and that God the Father is looking for people who practice worship in these ways.

   The verse used in the opening of the Truth Project series to answer the question "Why did Jesus come into the world?" was the portion of John 18:37, where He answers Pilate that the reason He has come is "to testify to the truth".

   How do I put all of this together?

   My prayer in all of this:

   Dear God, I read these Scriptures, and understand that You have a standard for true worship. I realize also, that I have preferences in my worship that could be caused by a lot of things, culture and upbringing included. I pray that You would show me how "in spirit and truth" is meant to be played out in my life, and the life of my church.

   Help me not to get the "me" portion mixed up with the "You" portion, but allow me to see You in all of this. Help me to say, in all sincerity, that You are God and I am not.

No comments:

Post a Comment