Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sometimes You Just Have to Say "Uncle"

   Here is my plan:

   Get up early in the morning, read the Scriptures, write the journal, compose the blog, publish it and then get on with the day. My feeling is that God will get me while I am fresh, and I will be more open and receptive to what He may have to tell, or show me. My problem is that I do not want to rush any of the above and at my pace of study and writing, the whole study period takes a couple of hours. I do not begrudge the time, and I do not want to cut it short. I like to spend the time and feel the rest of my day goes better when I do.

   So, what happens when the schedule does not allow all of this, especially early in the morning? On Wednesdays Mayre Lou and I have a Bible study at church at 7:15, so my wake up time, in order to do justice to the study and blog, would be in the order of 4 to 4:30. Now that is an option and maybe the right one.

   Usually, after the Bible study, we come back home and then I have my time of prayer, study and writing and that seems to work pretty well. I have at least been into the Scriptures for 45 minutes or so in the study, so my mind is focused in the right direction.
But today we had to leave right after the church session, go to Brunswick to get the car looked at for a minor problem, then drive to Savannah, coming back home around 4PM. All the good part of the day was shot, and now the question comes; what do I do about my study?

   Do I give God the leftover part of my day? Is that fair to Him or to the study itself? Can I miss a day without feeling guilty? Is it legalism to demand something, anything, just to say that I am really serious about this whole thing?

    I like the discipline of writing and studying every day, but I want the time to so unhurried that I can leave adequate space in my day for this time of prayer, study, meditation, and just plain quiet. I do not want to look back when I finish and just be satisfied that I finished. I would like for God to be pleased with what I did, and I know I would like that feeling as well.

   Is it "legal" to write a journal and blog and just say that I don't have the right kind of time to write a journal and blog?

   "Uncle"

No comments:

Post a Comment