Saturday, February 11, 2012

Honor

   Honor, what is it and how do I show it?

   The dictionary has quite a long definition of the word honor. It is used in a variety of ways. There is that respect given to a person, there is a place of honor, a honorable profession, and even honor among thieves.

   The Bible has a lot of verses about honor. Honor thy parents, honor all men, honor God with your first fruits, plus many more.

   So, who do I honor, and how do I do it? Is my life one of honor or dishonor?

   That word was used in the Scripture for today in John 8:47-59. Jesus says that He honors His Father, but the people of His time dishonor Him.

   Do I honor God, the men over me in government, my sports heroes, my wife, children, neighbors, fellow church members and friends? Do I also honor the man drunk in the gutter, or the homeless woman asleep on a bench down by the ocean?

   Do I show respect to all men, regardless of station, not by placing them on man-made pedestals, but by treating them as human beings with worth?

   Do I show honor to a job or a position by performing in that area with all my abilities and not to just get by or look good?

   Do I show honor to my Creator by honoring all His creation?

   Do I live a life of honor, one of integrity, or do I bring dishonor on my God by my actions and words? Am I even conscious of the import of these things I do and say each day?

   I can judge myself on my life of honor, others around me can also, both those that know me and those who only see me, but the One who judges with certainty, what will He say?

   Woe is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment