Sunday, February 19, 2012

Words Fitly Spoken (or Written)

   "Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight"

   "Sticks and stones my break my bones but words can never harm me."

   "Think before you speak."

   Words are important. They convey our feelings to others. They can bring life and happiness, and they can bring sorrow and hurt.

   I find, too late in a lot of cases, that the less I speak the better off I am. That silence keeps me out of a heap of trouble, and does not let me show my ignorance quite so openly.

   Jesus told the people that the words that He spoke to them came from His Father, and they had the authority of God the Father behind them. They could be trusted and they were true. Oh, that mine were the same and wore that mantle of truth and blessing.

   Words, spoken or written, carry weight and they linger long in the minds of those who hear. Sometimes I want to take them back immediately, but cannot, so perhaps the best idea is "be careful and think first, opening my mouth only as a last resort".

   Pleasing to God and helpful to man, now that is what I would like for my words to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment