Friday, December 21, 2012

A Song For Christmas

   There are a multitude of songs that apply to this Christmas season, from the silly secular to the holy hymns. There are new songs as well as the old and familiar, but, as I walked this morning, one tune kept running through my head.

   It could have been one of those from the post yesterday, one that I had listened to as I scrolled through the ones recorded on Youtube by Sissel. But it was not. It was an old one, actually the last verse of a longer hymn, which we know of as The Doxology.

   Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
   Praise Him, all creatures here below;
   Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
   Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

   It may have just been my mood as I walked, but I kept thinking of the many blessings that were mine right now. I thought also, of how many people could pray that simple chorus as they thought about how they had been blessed in this season, because of the generosity of others. I thought of the many folks who had not only been generous with their money, but with their time also, to help those who needed so much.

   Christmas is truly a time of giving and receiving. Blessings pour out on both recipients and givers. Giving God the glory for all He has done is our privilege and our responsibility, and we are blessed as we do just that.

   That simple chorus is an awesome testimony, especially when sung from deep in the heart, not only at Christmas, but all year long.

   I pray that, as it has been in my heart this morning, it will be all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment