Thursday, December 6, 2012

Fretting...

   I must have needed this statement badly, because it came up at least 3 times in the Psalm for today. This from Psalm 37:

   "Fret not yourself; "

   Then I got to thinking; what do I have to worry about?

   I am not a worrier. I guess I tend more to the "it will all work out" model. I know who is in control, and it is not me, so when I start to list some things that are worth worrying about, I include:

   Our country, our leaders in the political realm, the weather, the church, family health issues, education or lack thereof for our society's kids, the recession, government controls, loss of freedoms, jobs and the economy in general. Then I can look at the issue of sin, personal and corporate, global warming, the Middle East and my golf game. There is just no lack of things that I can fret about.

   So why do I have to be reminded not to do this?

   Our culture puts a high value on being sure, of saying that I know how something will pan out, that the end of any process will be good, but underneath are their sneaky little ideas floating around that ask the question, "are you sure?"

   We got an email yesterday, telling us that an old friend from Chattanooga days, had passed away. The funeral is to be on Saturday over in the western part of our state. The drive is long, but we wanted to show our concern for the family and our appreciation of the friendship that our families enjoyed together, so we are going on Friday.

   But all that got me to thinking about death and dying. I remember that that my folks, in their latter days, spent a lot of time going to hospitals and funeral homes, because they were outliving their friends.  If that is to be our lot, we too will face this end of life thing several times in the years ahead.

   I don't much worry about the end of my life. My trust is in Jesus Christ and His Word tells me that when I pass on it will be to an eternal land with Him. But I do think about, not fret about, what will become of my wife without my help. I have the assurance that we will be together again one day, but for the days in between, I want to know that she will be OK.

   Fret, no, but concern, yes.

   God, please help me to do all I can to prepare us for that separation, whichever way that it happens, and to rest in the assurance that You have it all under control if we only trust You.

   "Fret not yourself; "

No comments:

Post a Comment