Monday, December 24, 2012

Could He?...... Could I?

   I saw the morning break a few minutes ago. The sky started out with an orange glow, then became brighter as the minutes passed. There were some scattered clouds, and then they too began to get some color.  Orange clouds, light blue sky, a waiting world. Waiting for what?

   I saw lights come on in houses as folks awoke to begin a new day. I saw cars on the road as people left for work, I saw a couple leave their place for an early morning walk. I thought of kids still in bed, enjoying a time of added rest because there was no school. I thought of people out on the highways, hurrying toward somewhere, and others preparing for their arrival, on this day before Christmas.

   For over 2,000 years people have spent Christmas Eves in many different ways. This particular day has come and gone so many times, but is it just another day in a calendar? Could it be any different in 2012 than it has in the past?

   I think of the wise men. Had they any notion about a star that would guide them on a long journey? Would they not even be aware of it until tonight? How would their lives change, and the lives of those around them, because of this day and those that followed?



   I think of shepherds, going out to do their menial jobs, perhaps complaining that the coming night would be a cold one, and that they had to spend it outside in the fields "watching their flocks by night". Had they any inkling that tonight would be any different?



   Then there is the innkeeper in Bethlehem, and there is Herod and the palace staff in Jerusalem. There are people on the road, people in the towns and cities, doing what they needed to, preparing for just another day. They did not know.

   I think of Mary and Joseph. Did they know when the day began, that this was IT? They knew it would be the end of a trip, and Mary surely recognized that the time was close, but did they realize it would also be the beginning of another journey, one into the wonderment of God's revelation to man?



   This particular day and night in history changed the world.

   At the end of December 24, 2012, will the world have changed for me in any way? Will it be just like a calendar page, torn off so that another one can take its place on top of the stack, or will I let God break into my plans and make it special?

   Sure, I look forward to Christmas Day. I look forward to our whole family coming in a couple of days, and I know the fun we will have together, but I don't want today to just pass by, a day to just happen, a day to be gotten out of the way, so the real stuff can begin.

   December 24th has come and gone through a lot of calendar years. Could I open my eyes, ears, heart and life so that God could make it a special one? Could I wrap my mind around His Special Plan?



   He is waiting to do just that, am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment