Thursday, December 13, 2012

Thoughts on a Monument and Life

   While we were out last weekend visiting various county courthouses here in Georgia, I came across this monument on a square in one of these towns in the southwestern part of the state.



   So you won't have to strain to read the words at the bottom of this stone memorial, this was erected in 2002, so it is not an old idea or thought that has been resurrected for some occasion. This is a "Save your confederate money, boys, the South will rise again" thought.

   How do I square the sentiment of this stone marker with the verses from Psalm 50, part of the reading for this day?

   "The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me;
to one who orders his way rightly
I will show the salvation of God!”


   "An offering of Thanksgiving" combined with a realization that God is in control and the need to  line up my will with His, gives me the best chance to be in fellowship with Him. If I want to order my way rightly, I will bow to His way and His control of the events of man. Do I understand all that those words imply? No way, but I believe it is true nonetheless.

   "All races and religions joined together...". There might be some truth-stretching going on there.

   God, help me to walk in your truth today and offer my thanksgivings to you for all you have done, for me and throughout history.

No comments:

Post a Comment