Monday, February 25, 2013

Consider, and then?

   A portion of a verse this morning:

"Blessed is the one who considers the poor!"

   Consider: I looked up that word in the dictionary to be sure I got the full meaning, and that talked about reflecting on, meditating on, giving thought to and so on, but it seems to me to denote a deeper meaning.

   If I consider the poor, do I just think about their plight? Or do I reflect on their state of mind and body? Am I to be blessed if all I do is use my mind in this way?

   And do I just consider the monetary state of a person when I think "poor"? How about poor in spirit, poor in health or poor in outlook? Have I done my best when I send a check to the Salvation Army, or is there more?

   It seems to me this morning, that when I truly consider the poor, I do need to look on them in compassion, but first of all I need to open my eyes and heart to really see them, to really see people in their condition as God sees them and be willing to take whatever action He leads me to.

   That action may be monetary, but it also might involve asking questions and being concerned about the other things that might be going on in a life that intersects with mine. This life might be hidden behind a smiling face, or a joking demeanor, but it might be just a"poor" as that ragged man sitting on the curb.

   My concern might need to be time and not money, or it may be both and more.

   God help me to really see and not just think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment