Thursday, February 28, 2013

Capitalization of a Pronoun

   This from Psalm 50 this morning:

   "The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies Me;"

   These words have come up in my reading before. I have thought and written about thanksgiving before, several times. It is not rare for me to be grateful, I try to live it out each day. Then I think of another verse, this time in I Thessalonians 5:18:

   "in everything give thanks;"

  This is harder to comprehend and to do. Everything?

   Then I go back to the verse above, in Psalms, and notice the word sacrifice and wonder how all of this fits together.

   The dictionary defines "sacrifice", in one way, as:  surrender or destruction of something prized or desirable for the sake of something considered as having a higher or more pressing claim.

   Surrender, giving up, forfeiting, something valuable. So how does thanksgiving become a sacrifice? What act can I do that would be classified this way?

   It is the giving up of myself, whatever I regard as mine. My rights, my time, my stuff. I give up the things that I think will make me thankful in order to focus my will elsewhere. I give up "me", not in resignation, but in a realization of something higher.

   So, how do I do that today? Can I really give up what I think is rightfully mine? Can I not be frustrated when I can't do what I want, when I want? Can I not pout when things do not go my way, or even the way I think they ought? Can I sacrifice what I think will make me truly thankful?

   In short, can I get the "I" out of the equation, sacrifice the "me".

   As the verse above says, this glorifies Me with a capital M and not a lower case one.

   God, help me to get the capitalization right.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment