Saturday, February 9, 2013

When & How?

   In 2 Chronicles, the Old Testament reading for this morning, there appears a phrase that seems to summarize the whole 2 chapters that I read. This is contained in these verses and seemed to impress my mind:

   "The land is still ours because we have sought the Lord our God; we have sought Him, and He has given us rest on every side.”

   "and they sought Him, and He let them find Him."

   "All Judah rejoiced concerning the oath, for they had sworn with their whole heart and had sought Him earnestly, and He let them find Him."

   They sought the Lord. Not only had Israel sought Him, they had done it with their whole heart.

   Then there was the effect of what they had done, He let them find Him. Now God was there all the time, but their eyes and hearts were opened to Him and His presence.

   But what does it mean to seek God with my whole heart? My efforts to do this seem so puny, and yet I think I know that He will honor this desire. I just can't get a handle on all of what it might mean.

   I woke up this morning with a song going through my mind. Maybe it has some connection to the verses that caught my eye. A Hymn by Elisha Hoffman, written back in 1893:


  1. I must tell Jesus all of my trials,
    I cannot bear these burdens alone;
    In my distress He kindly will help me,
    He ever loves and cares for His own.
    • Refrain:
      I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
      I cannot bear my burdens alone;
      I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
      Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.
  2. I must tell Jesus all of my troubles,
    He is a kind, compassionate Friend;
    If I but ask Him He will deliver,
    Make of my troubles quickly an end.
  3. Tempted and tried I need a great Savior,
    One who can help my burdens to bear;
    I must tell Jesus, I must tell Jesus:
    He all my cares and sorrows will share.
  4. What must I do when worldliness calls me?
    What must I do when tempted to sin?
    I must tell Jesus, and He will help me
    Over the world the vict’ry to win.


   So, I try to tell Jesus my struggles with all of this. I pray as I walk. I attempt to dig deep, but I still don't know what I don't know.

   I believe that God has led me on this journey. He wakes me up to read, pray, think and pray some more. I do believe that He will bring me to exactly what He wants me to have out of all of this. He will make the connections that are there. He cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment