Friday, February 1, 2013

May I Sing With Reasons...

   There is a song that we sing sometimes in worship at church, a song by Michael W. Smith that has a chorus:

          "Great are You Lord and worthy of glory          Great are You Lord and worthy of praise          Great are you Lord, I lift up my voice          I lift up my voice"

   I thought of those lines as I looked at the Psalm and Gospel readings this morning.

   From the Gospel reading, in John 6, I read the story of Jesus feeding the 5,000 men (and presumably more including women and children). After the miracle of the 5 loaves and 2 fish, the Scripture relates:

   "When the people saw the sign that he had done, they said, “This is indeed the Prophet who is to come into the world!”

   The people had been active participants in the whole miracle that Jesus had performed, they were full of food and satisfied to be where they were. If they were to break out in song, even the song written above, why would they sing?

   Because their stomachs were full?
   Because they were privileged to see a miracle?
   Because they saw God in that place?

   Then I go back to Psalm 40, where David writes:

   "But may all who seek you
rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who love your salvation
say continually, “Great is the Lord!”
As for me, I am poor and needy,
but the Lord takes thought for me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
do not delay, O my God!"


   When he says, "may all who seek you"  he seems to indicate that he has been blessed because he has sought the Lord, that God has been close to him and given him help and deliverance, mainly because he took the time to do just that.

   If the above chorus is sung in church in a couple of days, why would I lift up my voice with those others there and sing? Would it be because I have taken the time to seek God and listen for His voice or just because it feels good and is the right thing to do? Will it be because "the Lord takes thought for me" and I can see his help, guidance and deliverance?

   Too many times, I just sing along without any thought for the why.

   God help me to recognize the many reasons I have to sing, and be thankful to lift up my voice in praise and worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment