Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What to do?

   Some days when I get up to read, I have to look hard to find something to write about, something coming from the Scriptures I read, that speaks to me and that I can pass along. So I start off with a reading from the Psalms, then a reading from a Gospel account, and then these days I also read the Moravian Daily Text which gives some hymn readings as well as 3 others, one from the Psalms, one from their reading the Bible through program and another from the New Testament.

   Surely, in one of those readings, there will be something that catches my eye, or mind, or something. I've got 5 or 6 chances to listen to God speak through His Word, and, no matter how dense or sleepy or what, in any given morning, I should find something.

   So today what do I find? Buried deep with an account of David and Solomon in 1 Chronicles there is a section on David's instruction to his son, who will be king soon, and this is basically to follow what God has said and do right.

   I think about that as I walk the neighborhood this morning. Do the right thing. It is easy to just say "no doubt about that, what else is there to do?". If there is a choice between doing the right thing or the wrong, the choice is obvious. Do I always take it, nope, but it is obvious nevertheless.

   But how about a choice between two good things, how do I make that? Hopefully most of my choices are these kinds, but there must be some criteria to make a choice in those situations. It might be easy to say, "well, you just choose the one that is best and leave the other good one alone". Sounds like a good plan, but choosing the "best" is not always easy to do.

   If I look around at my own circumstances and especially any other people that will be impacted by whatever I decide, it becomes easier. If I think of others and what is best for them, and leave my own desires at the door, most of the time the way to go is clear.

   I think God wants me to choose what is best for others, no matter how "good" the other choice might be.

   God first of all, others second, and I'll leave me for third.

   Do I always choose right over wrong? no way. How about the "best" over the "good"? Not always here either, but at least I think God has shown me what He wants. Now to do it consistently.

   Ho, Ho, Ho

No comments:

Post a Comment