Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Power in Music

   Last evening, at the close of Day 1 of the 21 day fasting, there was a prayer service at church for an hour or so. The format for these services is little talk and a lot of quiet, reflective time, which I like very much. I seems so conducive to prayer and worship, that I look forward to each of these times.

   Last night was no exception. Since I was a little on the late side, I missed some of the opening remarks, which was OK, but was there for the middle portion, the quiet time. It was not exactly perfectly quiet, but with low lighting, and soft music, I would say it was reverentially peaceful.

   I know I am old, but I do prefer the more sedate music, especially in times of prayer, music that is more background than anything else. This music does not command me to sit up and take notice of it in itself. I can let it sort of flow around me and over me, putting me in a place of worship and prayer. Such was the case last evening, and, as the first song was fed through the sound system, a piano rendition of "How Deep The Father's Love", my favorite hymn by far, my mind and heart were immediately put in a prayerful state.



   I think of one of the lines on the Truth Project video series, I think the one dealing with Creation, asking the question "Why is there music, anyway?". Why did God create music? What would life be like without music?

   Now, of course, my tastes in music are pretty old fashioned, fairly quiet, understandable words if applicable, a good melody. Since these criteria leave out much of modern "music", I know I may be out of step with many, but there I am.

   Music has the power to transport us beyond ourselves, and that is a place that I need to be a lot of the time. There is more than just me, and I need to be reminded of that fact.

   Thank God for music and its refreshing interludes in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment