Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Word For Thursday (and the 2 emotions that follow)

   Here is the verse from Psalm 37 this morning:

   "The Lord knows the days of the blameless,
and their heritage will remain forever;"

   There are two words that stick out in this verse, blameless and heritage. I know the definition of blameless, but I also know that is not me, so I'll pass on that one and go on to the word heritage.

   The dictionary defines the word like this:
 
"anything that has been transmitted from the past or handed down"

   So when I think about what all of this means in my life, I realize that I stand right in the middle of the definition. I am the recipient of what has gone on before, and I also have the power and ability to pass things on down the line, to those who will come after me. Realizing this, I have two emotions that strike me; gratitude and responsibility, and I find that both of these are powerful motivators in my life.

   Gratitude to those who have preceded me, those that are part of my family and those that have just influenced my life from the past. Gratitude for those who have made it possible for me to live in the political and spiritual circumstances that surround me today. Gratitude for ideas, character traits and examples of how to live and what for. Gratitude for all the positives that encircle me where I live in this year of 2013, physically, emotionally and spiritually. Right here as I stand today, I know that I am the product of all of this that I had no part in creating, and I can reap the benefits of other's work and sacrifice. Their heritage, passed down to me.

   Then there is that other word, responsibility. I'm not even sure it is an emotion, but it is something that I feel, and, even if it does not fit in the definition, it should. Responsibility also begs the question, "How can I live today to make sure that I pass down the right heritage to those who follow me?"

   What attitudes can I have and what actions can I do that show what is important in life, really important? How do the various roles that I play each day, especially in relationships, give me the opportunity to be the conduit of the heritage that God ordains for each person that follows?

   I believe, first of all, that I have the responsibility to be the husband, father, grand father and friend that God calls me to be. I need to seek His face each day to be the best I can be in each of these roles. I need to be the example of all the good and right things that have been passed down by others and entrusted to me, both for my benefit and those who follow.

   One word "Heritage" and two more that follow; "Gratitude" and "Responsibility", followed by still another, "Challenge".

No comments:

Post a Comment