Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Morning

   I stayed up too late last night, watching a football game that was effectively over in the first quarter, and not going to bed at a reasonable hour. So I did not wake up early as is my custom.

   Coming into this time of meditation, knowing that I had to go play tennis (had to!) shortly, I resigned myself to just a quick look at the Psalm reading and then getting on with my day.

   But something stopped me, a line from Psalm 110 which stated:

   "from the womb of the morning,"

   That is an interesting turn of a phrase. I know I function best in any day when I rise early and take some time to think about, and try to listen to, what God wants me to hear. The early part of the day, when it is quiet and still, is my favorite, and I miss it when I don't get up.

   When I go to bed at night, one of my last thoughts usually is a quick prayer to God to wake me up if He wants me to listen to Him. Last night I just went to sleep, knowing full well that I did not want to get up.

   Was this verse an admonition of my actions yesterday, or just a reminder of where my strength comes from. Not only strength but wisdom also, and I know I need both....Bad.

   So I utter a quick prayer of confession and another for forgiveness before I head out, knowing that it is not enough, just a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment