Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Three Words for 2013..Take One

      Waking, Reading, Praying and Walking. Those activities bring three words to my mind this morning. As I think about 2013, a new year on the calendar, these words seem to be in the forefront of my thoughts. They are big words, at least in terms of importance in my life right now.

   Opportunity, Responsibility and Relationships.

   For me, as I sit here in the beginning hours of a new year, the words are real, but the implications are a little like my early morning walk, foggy. I could look in any direction, see the path immediately in front of me, see some houses a few hundred feet off in all directions, but the area past that was obscured. From past experience, I knew there was something out there, but could not see any details.

   I also know there is something about those three words that I need to focus on, but there is just too much unknown beyond the foggy fringes of my world. If I try to dissect them all at one time, I will be swamped, so I will try to look at just one right now and listen for words of wisdom from Above.

   Opportunity: How does that relate to the beginning of this new year? Opportunity exists in all three of the realms of my life. There have been opportunities in the past, some have been seized and others missed. Both joys and regrets have been present in these, but I can't dwell there.

   There will be chances out there in the future, and that future consists of the next minute, the next day, or year. There are things that I can do to try and prepare to grab them, but the grabbing hold is not yet. They are important, but the call for me in this is not to be so short-sided that I am not ready



   The only opportunities that I can take hold of are those right now. Just like in the foggy morning, walking alone down the path, my world encapsulated in just that little spot that I can see, the only things that I can affect are right there, right then.

   So, what does all of that mean? God has placed me in places where I have opportunity to be His man in His world. In short, I have the chance to serve. As I recognize that fact, another question appears. How?

   Even the opportunities that I can see in my life right now are daunting. I see them, but I know I cannot take care of them in any correct way, without help. So part of the plan is to admit that I cannot do it on my own and ask for His help. If the things that come my way are part of His plan for me right now, then He will help me take care of them. I know I need this, really bad.

   So, on the first day of this year 2013, I take the opportunity to ask God for His help. I confess that I cannot do anything worthwhile without Him. I ask for this at the beginning of this day. I ask for this help for the day in front of me. I ask for this help in preparation for each of the days ahead in the fog.

   Help me to serve, and help me to be ready to serve.

   Give me this day, my daily bread, I pray......

No comments:

Post a Comment