Thursday, January 17, 2013

What of This Day?

   When I woke up this morning, a chorus from some song was in my head. I did not remember the title, but only the words of the chorus which said:

   "Come Lord Jesus, Come"

   I am not sure of the context in that song. It could have been a call for help in the midst of some suffering or tragedy or it might have been a plea for the second coming, to rid this world of all its sin and troubles, but for me the words just said, "Jesus, please give me what I need for this day".

   I have thought these same thoughts many times over the years, and I have written them often. I want to tell myself to just live in this day that I have, not to project the future or go back into the past and relive other days, but just to see the hours in front of me this day as a gift from God and an opportunity to serve Him in some way.

   I realize that I do have some responsibility to live these few minutes, the minutes of the day I begin with the words of verses that I read, songs that wander through my mind, and prayers of concerns and longings. God gives me breath for another day, and I don't want to waste it on pursuits that are unworthy of His great love and faithfulness to me.

   Maybe as I get older, time becomes dearer. at least it seems so. I know there is an end to my time on earth, and I also know that that time is nearer today than it was even yesterday, and it will be ever closer tomorrow. That is reality, and I want to live in reality.

   God was in my yesterdays, even when I did not acknowledge Him, or even think about that fact. He is with me today, and will be there when the sun rises tomorrow. I think of the hymn that was in one of my reading this hour:

   Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed thy hand hath provided
Great is thy faithfulness, Lord unto me


   So I pray for his mercies this day. I pray for His strength, for His wisdom, His understanding and His guidance, for Today.

   Today

   What will come along the path today? I surely don't know, but I do know that He is faithful and true and His mercies are new every morning, and that I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment