Monday, January 14, 2013

Why would I Do THAT?

   For the past several years, in January, our pastor has encouraged each of the members to think about prayer and fasting, the object of which is a seeking of God's will for the direction of our church in the year ahead. The schedule calls for a 21 day period to be set aside for some kind of fasting and special times of prayer at the church.

   Now this fasting can, and probably does, take many different forms, depending on the person doing it. Some have fasted by giving up certain foods, like desserts or meats. Some have forgone their pleasures, such as movies or TV. Some may fast completely for a day in each week, or for longer periods, whatever they feel like it takes to reap the benefit of this exercise.

   It is easier to understand the prayer part of the equation. Prayer is getting in touch with God and letting Him speak into your life. It is setting aside a time to be quiet with Him as the focus and really listen for His voice. But what about fasting? I read in Acts 13 these verses:

  "Now in the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers:Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen (who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch) and Saul. While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off.

   Sometimes the reasons for fasting become obscured by the act itself. If I abstain from all sweet things (desserts), and let everyone know about my sacrifice, what good does that do, except maybe make me a little healthier for a few days? If I parade my self righteous behavior in front of others, am I no different from those Pharisees that Jesus condemned?

   Fasting has a holy purpose. It is to take some time to get apart from the daily routine and seek God's face and His will for my life. To forgo something or other, just to do it, means nothing. Just to do it to let others know about it, means nothing. Only by using the act to get closer to God, is it meaningful to Him and to me.

   I think it is good and right to call the church to a period of fasting and prayer, but is 21 days enough, or is it to be a lifestyle of those elements? This is a good start, and it shows a good purpose. but if that is all it is, it will fall flat. I can give up all I want to and still not hear what God really wants to say to me, if what I concentrate on is the "giving up" part. I want to do better than that.

   God help me to do it for You, and not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment