Friday, January 25, 2013

Satisfaction

   With what will I be satisfied this day?

   The very end of a Psalm reading, number 17, for today states:

   "As for me, I shall behold Your face in righteousness;
I will be satisfied [d]with Your likeness when I awake."

   And I think, when I come to the end of this day, what will I look back on and be satisfied? But that is not the only question. The verse says that when I wake up, I will be satisfied if You are there. Then I question, what does that look like in my life as I go out early today?

   For one thing, thinking about this verse puts the Scripture forefront in my life, and I find that it comes to my mind several times during the day. One satisfaction is the knowledge that the Scripture can be brought back to my senses, and the question enters at that point asking "is what you are doing right now bringing satisfaction?"

   I write this just after coming home from a round of golf with 3 friends. As I remember what I had read this morning and read what I wrote earlier in the day, I ask myself about satisfaction so far this day. If I do not take my golf too seriously, I find that I can be satisfied with the other things that go along with the outing. Friendship, discussions, the beautiful day and the physical activity are all important parts of those hours on the course. Now a good golf score is like icing on a great cake, but not necessary for satisfaction.

   Satisfaction comes from putting things in my life in the right perspective. Relationships and gratitude to God for the ability to play, and the surroundings as I go, are the most important, scoring is secondary. I know my game is not first class anyway, and it does not get any better as I get older, so it is time to enjoy the game and the situation that surrounds it. Should have been doing this all along.

   How about the rest of today?

   I have not lived it yet, and I trust that the Scripture and its message for me will be placed in my mind and path for the other hours until sleep comes again.

   So my prayer is for right priorities and the right order of the same in my life, for the rest of today, and all of the days to come. I pray for remembrance of what I am shown by this one verse, and the desire to live it.

   Thank You God for what You put out there for me....

No comments:

Post a Comment