Monday, January 28, 2013

Compassion

   This morning as I awoke, I thought of the things that were on my plate this day. There were some things that did not look too pleasant, as well as other more mundane items. Naturally, my mind wanted to dwell on the aspects of the day that I did not look forward to, but then my glance fell on a letter that was sitting on my table, a letter that needed to be answered. I thought of the sender and what must be going through his mind this morning, in a land filled with poverty and violence. What was his mindset as he awoke to another day? Were the worries overshadowing things he could look forward to?

   For a few years now, Mayre and I have been sponsoring a boy in Kenya through an organization called Compassion International. We send a small amount of money each month to this ministry, and they use the funds to help with poverty and education in countries around the world. All of this work is done in the name of Jesus, and we are happy to be a small part of that.

   Compassion urges sponsors to write to their children, putting a face to those who want to help them. The children, also, write to their individual sponsors, telling them about themselves and their lives, making the whole project personal to both parties. I know it is good PR and adds the personal touch to the monetary transaction, and I know it helps to keep the money flowing in to fund the various projects, but it is also a blessing to see the boy we are helping and catch a glimpse into his mind as he lives his life, far away in a much different environment.

   Two things caught my eye as I read a letter from Peter, who lives in Nairobi with his family and who we support with our small gift. I had sent him a picture of a visit our family made to the Sea Turtle Center over on Jekyll. He said in response to that photo, "I have never seen a turtle and request to know where the turtle lives". I guess I could not imagine a boy anywhere who had not seen a turtle, so I will send him more information on these and show him that I do read his letters and care enough to respond to his request. A little thing perhaps, but something that I can do.

   The second item in his letter was more troubling to me. His words: "In our country of Kenya there have been many happenings. There has been bombings where some people died and many were injured. Policemen were also killed by bandits as they were going to take back some cattle that were stolen. Please pray for our country for peace."

   What goes through the mind of a 10 year old boy as he hears about bad things that are happening all around him. Even in his home city of Nairobi, I know there is unrest, so it is there also. I am reminded to pray for him, and millions of other children around the world, who live in the midst of violence and poverty, not only overseas, but here in the US as well.

   I think of the first verse of Psalm 41 from the reading this morning:

   "Blessed is the one who considers the poor!"

   What we do is a pittance in the sea of need around the world, but it might make the difference in the life of one boy, and through him to others who will be in his sphere of influence as he grows up there.

   There is also that chorus that I remember:

   Little is much when God is in it!

   God makes all the difference. I need to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment