Monday, January 7, 2013

Walking and Waiting

   So I walk, and I wait, but what do I wait for?

   As I read the verses in the Psalms and in the Gospel of John this morning, I prayed for a time of knowing God. Really knowing Him, not just in a superficial way, but as friend to friend on an intimate basis. I think I have a relationship with the Creator of the universe, but, if I analyze this, I realize that it is not all that personal. I think I know Him from His Word, but again, I know I have not even scratched the surface of all of that.

   So I walk, and I wait. Do I wait to see a man appear before me on the cart path and give me a word from on high? Do I wait for a lightening bolt to flash forth and knock me to the ground? I wait, but I really do not know what I wait for. A burning bush that is not consumed by the fire would be nice, but that was for Moses, and none that I see have any smoke coming out of them.

   As I come to the end of my walking time, and get ready to go back inside the condo, I make the last eastward turn and look up. The sky is beginning to lighten, the sliver of the moon is still easily seen along with a bright morning star, which I presume is Venus. It is a photographic moment, but with no camera in hand, I realize that God has indeed spoken.



   He reminds me that He is still there and the whole universe is moving along in the way He planned it. Another day is dawning, and He has that all planned out, too. He knows my thoughts and prayers. He knows what I want and what I need, and maybe those facts are all I need to know right now.

   I am grateful that I have the time to enjoy a few moments on the cart path in the early morning, before the sun rises. God reminds me of this blessing as I stand for a minute and look east into the lightening sky.

   Perhaps, just perhaps, that is what I was waiting for, and now I wait no longer. I may walk and wait again tomorrow, but He has given me His presence, and that is what I need for this day.

   Each day for that one, and one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment