Saturday, January 26, 2013

Neighbors

   In the Moravian Text reading for this day, there was a hymn given.

"These are the ones that we should serve
these are the ones that we should love
all are neighbors to us and you
Jesu, Jesu, fill us with your love
show us how to serve the neighbors
we have from you."

   Now I don't know this song, but it, and the prayer that closed this same reading:

"May we experience your holy presence, guiding
us to serve our brothers, sister and strangers, in your name
Amen"

   Both of these went along with some thoughts that I entered my mind as I walked earlier. I think of the people that I saw, even as the world woke up.

   I saw a condo neighbor waiting for her husband to pick her up. She was all dressed up and told me that they were on their way to a grandson's game in a town 2 1/2 hours up the road.

   I saw a man coming out to get his paper, talking on his cell phone, to whom at that early hour I could not fathom.

   I saw a man running on the cart path who panted a "hello" as he plodded past.

   Then I remember the saying that we can choose our friends, but it is God who gives us our neighbors, and, as the hymn says above, we are to serve those He has placed in our lives.

   I think of the man in Luke who asked Jesus the question: "Who is my neighbor?" From the parable of the Good Samaritan, I know it is anyone that comes into my life in some way.

   It is the couple in our condo complex that I see coming and going. It is the man on the phone, who lives on my walking route, and it is even the jogger that I pass on the path. It is also all those others that have entered my life in some way in the past and those whose lives will intersect with mine today and in the future.

   So the question comes, how do I serve them in His name?

   Then the answer, "In whatever way He shows, but always with my ears and eyes open to hear and see what that might be in each instance".

   Be willing, be seeing, be hearing and be ready to act, and I add another as I start this day; Remember what I have been prompted to think about and to write as the day unfolds, not just publish and forget.

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment